A wall pillar at Mack Park during a previous repair..
Built in the 1850’s by Salem physician Dr. William Mack, the house at Mack Park was constructed as a summer home for his sister Esther C. Mack. Upon his death, Dr. Mack followed his sister’s wishes, leaving the entire estate, then known as Ledge Hill, to the city.
During its meeting on January 20th, the Salem Historical Commission made a determination that Mack Park’s entrance-flanking walls, constructed of the same fieldstone as the Mack Park house, are a resource of historic significance.
In recent years, the walls have fallen into disrepair, requiring significant work to return them to their original state. City officials are aware of the problem, but funding is unavailable, and currently earmarked for other projects.
After learning the walls would not be repaired, Mack Park Neighborhood Association (MPNA) treasurer Tina Cook and MPNA Chairperson RoseMary O’Connor looked into submitting the project for Community Preservation Act (CPA) funding. Projects eligible for CPA funding include the acquisition or creation, preservation, support, rehabilitation and restoration of open spaces, historic resources, recreational land, and community housing.
The Historic Commission’s determination of historic significance makes the repair of Mack Park’s flanking walls eligible for CPA funding.
Special thanks to Jason Silva, Director of Municipal Operations and Capital Improvements, for his help in getting this proposal before the Historic Commission and submitted for CPA funding.